뉴스/이슈

[더 타임즈] 콤파니 “가장 자랑스러운 우승”

난라다리 0

PA-35229434.jpg

지난 카라바오컵 결승전에서 

득점을 기록하고 기뻐하는 뱅상 콤파니(가운데).

ⓒPA Images/아이웨이미디어

[The Times/ By Paul Hirst]

맨체스터 시티가 3번째 프리미어리그 우승을 확정함에 따라, 뱅상 콤파니가 이번 시즌의 우승이 가장 자랑스럽다며 기쁨을 표했다. 맨체스터 유나이티드가 웨스트브롬위치 알비온과의 홈 경기에서 패배하면서 맨시티가 리그 우승을 차지하게 되었는데, 콤파니는 TV로 지역 라이벌 맨유가 무기력하게 무너지는 모습을 지켜보고 있었던 것이다.

한편 맨유가 올드 트라포드에서 리그 최하위 웨스트브롬에게 1-0으로 패하며 맨시티에게 우승을 선물하던 때, 펩 과르디올라 감독은 아들 마리우스, 세계 12위의 골퍼 토미 플릿우드와 함께 노리치에 위치한 샌디웨이 코스에서 골프를 즐기고 있었다.

제이 로드리게스가 결승골을 터뜨렸을 당시, 맨시티 선수들은 유럽 곳곳에 흩어져 있었다. 하지만 주장 콤파니는 체셔의 집에 남아 아내 카를라, 두 명의 아이들, 그리고 다른 가족들과 함께 맨시티의 우승이 확정되는 순간을 지켜보았다.

콤파니는 팀 동료들을 향해 맨시티가 앞서 두 차례의 우승을 차지한 이후 하지 못했던 일을 해내자며 당부의 메시지를 전했다. 두 시즌 연이어 리그 우승 트로피를 품에 안아보자는 것이다. “당연한 일이라고 생각해서는 안 됩니다. 리그에서 3번 우승했다는 점에서는 행운이었지만, 수없이 많은 기회를 놓치기도 했습니다.”

“제 이야기를 들으면 우리 팀 동료들이 약간은 곱지 않은 시선을 보낼지도 모르겠지만, 저는 타이틀 방어에 성공해본 적이 없습니다. 그런 만큼, 다음 시즌에 우리 팀이 어떻게 나올지 보고 싶습니다. 이 팀이 지금보다 더 성공할 수 있는 힘이 있을지 보고 싶습니다.”

“벌써 다음 시즌에 대해 생각하고 있는 사람은 아마 저뿐일 테지만, 저는 겸손한 마음을 지키고 싶습니다. 어떤 왕조가 아니라 한 번의 우승이니까요. 우리 모두 기뻐하고 있지만, 우리 팀이 가지고 있는 모든 잠재력을 발휘하려면 훨씬 더 많은 것들이 남아 있습니다.”

맨시티의 우승이 확정되기 이전에, 과르디올라도 맨시티가 다음 시즌에는 더 발전된 모습을 보이기를 바란다고 밝혔다. “이번에 좋은 시즌을 보냈다는 것을 부정할 수는 없지만, 더 나아져야 합니다.”

“맨시티로서는 더욱 발전하는 것이 중요한 일입니다. 맨시티는 맨유나 첼시, 아스날 같은 팀이 아니기 때문이죠. 아시지 않습니까, 잉글랜드에서도 역사가 있는 빅 클럽들과는 다르다는 이야기입니다.”

“그렇기 때문에 때로는 이런 작업들을 할 필요가 있습니다. ‘오, 우리도 다른 팀들만큼 괜찮은데’하고 생각할 수 있도록 말이죠. 바로 그게 목표입니다. 더 까다로운 일이 되겠지만, 사람들이 맨체스터 시티에 대해서도 좋은 팀이라고 믿게 되기를 바랍니다.”

맨유 경기에 앞서 맨시티 선수들은 함께 모여서 경기를 보지 않기로 결정했고, 그 결과 경기 당일에는 유럽 각지에 흩어져 있었다. 에데르송은 친정팀 벤피카와 포르투의 경기를 관람하기 위해 포르투갈에 있었고, 이번 시즌 모든 대회를 통틀어 30골을 기록하면서 맨시티의 3번째 리그 우승에 핵심적인 역할을 한 세르히오 아구에로는 집에서 가족들과 함께 경기를 지켜보았다. 한편 르로이 사네는 맨유가 웨스트브롬위치에게 끌려가고 있을 당시 독일에서 친정팀 샬케와 도르트문트의 경기를 관람하고 있었다.

맨시티 동료이자 벨기에 국가대표팀 동료이기도 한 케빈 데 브라이너와 페이스타임(FaceTime)을 주고받은 뒤, 콤파니는 자신을 비롯한 팀원 모두에게 특별했던 이번 시즌을 돌아보았다. 이번 시즌 맨시티는 현재까지 리그에서 단 2패만을 기록하고 있다.

“아무래도 처음[리그 우승]이 가장 특별하겠죠. 첫 번째 우승을 차지했을 때는 등에 지고 있던 거대한 돌덩이를 치워버린 것 같은 기분이었습니다. 첫 번째 우승이 특별했지만, 제게는 이번 시즌의 우승이 가장 자랑스러운 것 같습니다. 이 팀의 일원이라는 것은 굉장히 특별한 일입니다. 그 기분을 그저 계속해서 느끼고 싶은 마음이에요.”

“이루기 어려운 일인 만큼, 팀 동료들을 비롯해 모든 관련된 사람들에 대해 자랑스럽게 생각합니다. 맨 처음과 똑같은 기분입니다. 말로 표현할 수 없어요. 처음에는 모두 이길 것 같았지만, 시즌 첫패를 당하자 다시는 이길 수 없을 것처럼 느껴지더군요.”

어제(일요일, 현지 시간) 올드 트라포드에서 웨스트브롬위치의 승리에 배당된 확률은 16:1이었으나, 콤파니는 이웃 팀 맨유가 리그 최하위 팀에게 패배할 것 같다는 낌새를 채고 있었다고 밝혔다.

“아침에 일어났을 때 느낌이 있었습니다. 어느 팀이든 지는 모습을 지켜보는 것을 좋아하지는 않지만요. 경기를 하는 입장에서도 웨스트브롬위치에 대해 좋은 팀이라고 생각합니다. 현재 순위도 그 정도로 내려가 있을 만한 팀이 아니라고 생각하고, 그 세트 피스 상황에서 제이 로드리게스가 환상적인 골을 넣은 것은, 그야말로 고마운 일이죠.”

이번 시즌에는 이미 카라바오컵까지 차지한 바 있는 과르디올라지만, 부임 첫 해였던 지난 시즌에는 겨우 리그 3위에 그치고 말았다. 그러나 콤파니는 자신을 비롯하여 맨시티 선수들 가운데 누구도 과르디올라에 대한 신뢰를 잃은 적이 없다고 밝혔다.

“우리 모두 믿고 있었습니다. 감독님에게는 프리미어리그에 와서 적응하는 시간이 있었고, 우리에게도 감독님의 방식을 받아들이는 시간이 있었습니다. 그리고 그 방식이 옳은 방식이었고, 우리가 신뢰한 방식이었죠. 바르셀로나나 바이에른 뮌헨과 비교하면, 요즘 우리가 경기하는 방식에 분명히 차이가 있습니다. 우리는 팀 전체의 힘에 의해 살아남고 이어지죠. 한 팀은 독일 국내 리그에서 압도적인 우위를 점하고 있었고 한 팀에는 [리오넬] 메시가 있었지만, 우리는 팀이 없다면 아무것도 아닙니다.”

또한 콤파니는 과르디올라에게 고마움을 표하기도 했다. 과르디올라를 만난 덕에 경기력 향상에 도움이 되었다는 것이다. “만일 제가 스무 살이었을 때 감독님을 만났다면, 감독님에게 완벽하게 맞는 선수가 될 수도 있었겠죠. 또 지금보다 훨씬 더 나은 선수가 되었을 수도 있었을지도 모를 일이고요.”

“한 가지 목표는 함께하고 있다고 생각합니다. 무언가를 향한 바람과 굶주림은 절대 충족될 수 없다는 것 말이죠. 감독님 덕분에 팀이 바뀔 수 있었습니다.”

COPYRIGHT - THE TIMES, LONDON 

ⓒ아이웨이미디어, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지

SPORT: (FOOTBALL) THIS IS OUR PROUDEST VICTORY, SAYS KOMPANY

By Paul Hirst

VINCENT KOMPANY hailed Manchester City's third Premier League triumph as their proudest after watching rivals Manchester United hand them the title with a limp capitulation at home to West Bromwich Albion. 

City manager Pep Guardiola played golf with son, Marius, and the world No 12 Tommy Fleetwood at the Sandiway course in Northwich as United slumped 1-0 to the league's bottom club at Old Trafford, giving City an unassailable lead. 

His players were spread across Europe as Jay Rodriguez scored the goal that sealed City's title, but Kompany, the captain, watched with his City-supporting wife, Carla, their two children and other family members at his Cheshire home. 

He called on team-mates to do what they were unable to after their previous two titles, and retain it. "You can't take it for granted. I have been lucky to win three but so many I have missed as well," he said.

"I suppose my team-mates will perhaps roll their eyes a little bit but I have never retained a title, so I want to see how we react now next season. I want to see if this team has it to be even more successful.

"I'm probably the first one to think about next season, I would like to stay humble, this is not a dynasty. It is one title, we are all delighted, but there is a lot more to do to unlock our full potential."

Guardiola, speaking before City's title win was completed, also said he hoped to see an improvement from his team next season. "You cannot deny we were good this season, but we have to improve," the City manager said.

"It is important to build up the club because Manchester City is not like United or Chelsea or Arsenal - you know, the big clubs in England who have a big history behind them.

"So sometimes you have to do these kinds of things to think, 'Wow, we are good too, like the other ones.'

"That is the target. It will be more complicated, but we want the people to believe Manchester City is a good club."

City's players decided against gathering to watch the United match. They were spread across the continent. Ederson, the goalkeeper, was in Portugal to watch his former team Benfica play Porto. Sergio Aguero, who played a key role in City's third title win since the Abu Dhabi takeover by scoring 30 goals, watched the match at home with his family. Leroy Sane, the winger, was in Germany watching his former club, Schalke, play Borussia Dortmund while United were losing.

Just after FaceTiming Kevin De Bruyne, his City and Belgium team-mate, Kompany reflected on a special season for him and his colleagues, who have lost only twice in the Premier League this season.

"The first [title win] has to be the favourite," he said. "It was like carrying a massive rock or stone on your back and you get rid of it. The first one was special but this one is perhaps the one I'm most proud of. It's a privilege to be a part of this team. You just want to hold on to the feeling.

"It's a difficult achievement and I'm proud of the team and everyone involved. It is the same feeling as the first time. You can't describe it, the first time you think you are going to win all of them and the first time you lose it you think you are never going to win it again."

West Brom were 16-1 shots to win at Old Trafford yesterday (Sunday) but Kompany said he had an inkling that City's neighbours would lose to the side that are bottom of the table.

"I had that feeling when I woke up this morning," he said. "I don't like to wait and see a team lose but you go into a game and think West Brom are a good team, they don't deserve to be where they are and a set-piece, wonderful goal from Jay Rodriguez, thank you."

Guardiola, who also won the Carabao Cup this season, could only finish third in his first campaign at the club last season. Kompany claims neither he nor his team-mates ever lost faith in their manager.

"We all believed in it," he said. "There was a period of adaptation for him coming into the league and for us taking in his methods. They were the right ones and the ones we believed in, I'm sure there are differences to how we play today compared to Bayern and Barcelona. We survive and live by the strength of the team. One team was dominant in Germany and one had [Lionel] Messi, but we are nothing without the team."

Kompany hailed Guardiola for helping him improve his game. "If I had met Pep when I was 20-years-old I would have been the perfect player for him and would have been able to improve so much," he said.

"I think we share one thing. He has been able to transfer to the team that hunger and desire to never be satisfied."

COPYRIGHT - THE TIMES, LONDON

기사제공 The Times

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments
번호 제목
State
Facebook Twitter GooglePlus KakaoStory NaverBand